Colour is integral to our work as: artists and designers, in textiles and fashion, architecture and interior design, for graphics, gamers and art and design teachers. How do we understand colour and create a more beautiful colour palette?
The Moriarty Colour Wheel is the first mathematically correct printed Colour Wheel covering CMY and RGB.
Learn to apply the principles of colour to your colour matching and colour mixing, colour selection and understanding of colour relationship using this colour wheel. Analyse colour in nature, and in the work of the great colourists in art and design and apply this to your own practise.
Take control of your use of colour, using this great tool, and learn from the creator himself – Merv Moriarty.
· Understanding the principles of colour and applying this to colour matching and colour mixing, using the colour wheel as a guide.
· Exploring the connection between mixing colour and colour relationship using pathways between colours – from pure colour to complementaries
· Decide the dominant and supporting hues for a colour story; avoiding a random combination of colours
· Personal Colour Study – an exercise
· Demonstrating Matisse Acrylics and mediums including: from opaque to underpainting and glazing techniques
· Colour of Nature Study: analysing the colours of nature using plant materials
· Colour and Emotion – ‘right’ colour relationship, Tone Pattern, Creating an Emotional Response – an exercise
· The Dominant Light - Creating luminosity using: under-painting, glazing, broken colour, i.e., optical blending
· Comparing Personal Choice and Colours of Nature studies
· Beyond the personal to the universal – what can we learn from nature and the great colourists?
All exercises are in a simple abstract format.
venue & costs
All workshops are conducted at Derivan HQ located at Unit 4 / 23 Leeds Street, Rhodes, NSW 2138. Weekday workshop costs are $130. Lunch and all materials provided. All prices are inclusive of GST.
Please Fill out the form Below with the SUBJECT WITH COURSE CODE: DEDU1904/2
ABOUT THE TUTORS:
Merv Moriarty was an established artist and art educator in Brisbane by the late 1960s. In 1971, he founded Flying Arts, first known as EastAus Art School – after gaining an unrestricted pilots licence. He also founded the Brisbane Institute of Art (BIA) in the same year. Moriarty retired from Flying Arts in 1983, and this organisation, along with the BIA, continue to operate successfully to this day. Currently residing in Wallagoot NSW with his partner Prue Acton OBE, Moriarty has remained committed to the arts and education. He regularly provides private art masterclasses, produces artwork, researches, writes and develops art and design colour books and tools. In recent years Moriarty self-published two art texts: The Eye’s Mind – the artist and the draftsman(2010) and COLOUR – the definitive guide(2012). The National Library of Australia officially launched both of these publications. Merv is currently touring Queensland with COLOUR & RESPONSE a Flying Arts touring exhibition of Colour ll – in the fieldand Master Class – Colour and your Subject.
Prue ActonO.B.E. Dr. of Arts honoris causa RMIT University studied Visual Art at RMIT University majoring in Textile Design. At nineteen Acton starting her award winning, international fashion lable and later her cosmetics brand; designed Australian Olympic Uniforms; Actil bed linen; corporate wardrobes; and colour consultancies. In early 1990s Acton returned to her first love, painting, studying with Clif Pugh and Merv Moriarty. Acton now regularly exhibits her highly acclaimed colour paintings.
Acton and Moriarty are the co-creators of the Moriarty Colour Wheel – a definitive guide. This 3600 three-section colour wheel and guide shows the relationship between pigment (CMY) and light (RGB) and shows 36 hues in purity (saturation) and 18 tones (values) plus pigment positions by code.
www.moriartycolour.com Instagram: @moriartycolour